Westminster DUI Drug Offenses Attorney
Prosecutors in California pursue convictions for driving under the influence (DUI) violations quite aggressively. If you or a loved one is charged with a DUI drug offense, it is essential to know your rights and available legal options for your defense. A Westminster DUI drug offenses lawyer is your best asset when you are uncertain about the type or severity of the charges against you.
At the Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann, APC, our team understands how serious a DUI drug offense conviction can be for your personal and professional life. The potential penalties may vary based on the severity of the offense and the defendant’s prior DUI history. Ultimately, any DUI drug offense could lead to financial penalties, loss of professional licenses, loss of driving privileges, and even jail time.
What Happens If You Don’t Get a Lawyer for a Westminster DUI?
Some people believe they can represent themselves without legal counsel, thus saving money on attorneys’ fees as they navigate their cases. Many people choose public defenders who offer legal counsel for free. In either of these situations, the defendant does not have the same level of legal representation as they would if they had hired a Westminster DUI drug offenses attorney. A private defense firm like the Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann, APC can help you identify exonerating evidence, highlight procedural errors and due process violations, and ultimately have your charges reduced or dropped. You would be unlikely to accomplish these things on your own without prior practical legal experience.
If you do not have legal representation during a DUI drug offense case, you risk potentially massive penalties that can negatively impact your life in many ways for years to come. Every American has the right to legal representation in any criminal matter. It is vital to take full advantage of this right by protecting yourself with the best defense counsel you can find.
Why Choose the Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann?
A public defender might be able to provide an adequate defense in your case. However, a private Westminster DUI drug offenses attorney can offer more comprehensive, personalized legal representation. Attorney McCann and his legal team have more than 15 years of professional experience handling some of the most challenging DUI drug offense cases in the Westminster area.
As your Westminster DUI drug offenses attorney, Christopher J. McCann can evaluate the conditions of your arrest and booking to identify any potential due process or Constitutional violations that could justify case dismissal. If the prosecution’s case appears solid, our team will look for exculpatory evidence and challenge every piece of material evidence the prosecution offers to minimize their ability to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. You can expect a legal team fully committed to your defense when you choose the Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann, APC as your Westminster DUI drug offense lawyers.
Is It Best to Fight My DUI?
It is always worth fighting against any criminal charge. When the prosecution’s charges are fair and measured under state laws, it’s important to get the best possible resolution to your case. If you or a loved one was arrested and booked for a DUI drug offense in the Westminster area, contact our firm. It’s essential to secure defense representation as soon as you can so you can determine the defenses available in your case. A good Westminster DUI drug offense attorney can defend you in several possible ways, such as:
- Challenging the grounds on which your arrest was conducted. Your attorney will ensure the police had probable cause to conduct a traffic stop and thoroughly review the police report of the arrest for accuracy.
- Challenging lab results. When the police arrest someone for DUI, California’s implied consent laws for drivers requires an arrested driver to submit to chemical testing for DUI. Your Westminster DUI drug offense attorney will look for any and all reasons to challenge the lab’s findings, such as documentation errors, equipment failure, or human error.
- Highlighting due process and civil rights violations. Arresting officers must follow the laws of due process in any DUI drug offense arrest. The prosecution must also file their case in accordance with the California Code of Criminal Procedure and substantiate all evidence they provide in building their case.
- Uncovering exculpatory evidence. The police may mistake symptoms of normal conditions like the common cold, allergies, or fatigue for intoxication. If you are wrongfully charged with a DUI drug offense and were not intoxicated at the time of arrest, consider hiring a lawyer. Your attorney will determine the validity of testing brought forth by the prosecution or look for other exonerating factors.
- Representing you at trial. If your DUI drug case moves to active litigation, you can rely on your Westminster DUI drug offense lawyer to represent you through all phases of litigation and prepare you for each court appearance.
Ultimately, investing in a high-quality Westminster DUI drug defense attorney is one of the best steps to take when facing any type of DUI drug offense charge.
What Are the Three Types of DUI Infractions?
The severity of the charges against you can vary depending on a few factors. It matters how you were arrested and whether you caused injuries, damages, or death due to driving under the influence of drugs. California state prosecutors acknowledge three types of DUI infractions, all of which they pursue aggressively:
- Misdemeanor DUI for drugs. This is the least severe DUI drug charge a person can face and typically results when the police have conducted a legal traffic stop and determined the driver to be under the influence of drugs, but the driver has not damaged anything or harmed anyone.
- Felony DUI for drugs. If a driver under the influence of any drug causes a serious accident, significant property damage, or otherwise crosses the threshold for a felony DUI charge, they face much steeper legal penalties if convicted.
- DUI manslaughter. If a driver kills someone else due to operating their vehicle under the influence of an illicit substance, the driver can face DUI manslaughter charges that entail years in prison.
No matter which type of DUI drug charge you face, you need reliable legal representation to guide you through the difficult and complicated proceedings to follow.
Do I Need an Attorney for a First-Time DUI?
Attempting to represent yourself in any criminal matter is very risky, even if it is your first offense. Many California judges are willing to give second chances to individuals arrested for DUI drug offenses for the first time. Others tend to maximize a defendant’s first-time offense penalties to strongly discourage them from repeating their behavior in the future.
Hiring an attorney means you will have a reliable legal advocate on your side who can identify due process violations and other procedural errors that could lead directly to case dismissal. If this is not possible, hiring an attorney significantly increases your chances of having your charges and associated penalties reduced. Essentially, hiring an attorney could mean the difference between heavy fines and jail time or counseling and probation, the latter of which is generally much easier to manage.
The penalties for DUI in California escalate with subsequent offenses, but even a first-time DUI charge can have severe penalties:
- A first-time DUI for drugs in California will generally lead to fines of at least $390.
- Driver’s license suspension. Anyone convicted of DUI for drugs in California will have their driver’s license suspended for six months.
- Jail time up to six months. First-time offenders are most likely to receive probation and mandatory drug and alcohol safety courses instead of jail time, but this is not guaranteed in cases involving bodily injury, significant property damage, or death.
In California, these penalties escalate with subsequent offenses, so it is worth fighting a first-time DUI drug offense charge as aggressively as possible.
Finding the Right Defense Attorney
A Westminster DUI drug offenses lawyer can be a tremendous asset when you are facing any type of DUI charge, whether it is your first or you have a history of prior DUIs. Your attorney can determine the best available defenses in your case and help you approach your criminal matter with greater confidence. A conviction will not only lead to severe legal penalties and a criminal record but also personal and professional consequences. A DUI conviction for drugs can potentially lead to losing your professional licenses, loss of custody rights, and a damaged reputation in your community.
Do not risk these penalties. If you want to be proactive in your defense, it’s vital to connect with the right attorney as soon as possible to start building your case. Contact the Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann, APC today to discuss your legal options with an experienced and understanding Westminster DUI drug offense attorney. Your free consultation can provide the reassurance you need during a challenging time, and our team is happy to answer any specific questions you might have about your DUI drug offense case.