Felony DUI Charges Need A Skilled Defense Attorney
If you are facing DUI charges, know that not every DUI charge results in a conviction. However, any contact you have with police officers or prosecutors could be used against you in a court of law. If you, a friend, or a family member has been arrested for a DUI, your first step should be to contract a criminal defense attorney to help protect your rights and guide you through this complex legal landscape.
I am Christopher McCann, and I am dedicated to protecting individuals facing the most serious criminal charges, including felonies such as DUI with injuries. I have more than 15 years of experience, handling 1,500 cases, including DUI charges in California. I graduated from Pepperdine University School of Law and am admitted to practice in all California state courts. Additionally, I am also licensed to appear before the U.S. district courts for the Central and Southern Districts of California, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit and the U.S. Court of Federal Claims. I have extensive litigation experience at all levels of the California and federal court systems.
I am also a member of the Los Angeles County Bar Association and the State Bar of California, and maintain active memberships in the California DUI Lawyers Association, the California Public Defenders Association, and the National College for DUI Defense.
I use my knowledge of the law and extensive litigation experience in both the California and federal court systems to better serve you, help you understand your rights, and understand the options to protect your future.
Personal Attention From Me Throughout Your Case
You need strong legal representation after being charged with a DUI in California. I understand the criminal justice system and have handled thousands of cases in state and juvenile courts throughout Orange County. My previous clients have been extremely satisfied with the work I have done, and their testimonials showcase the positive results of their cases.
When you hire the Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann, APC, in Santa Ana, you will work directly with me throughout your case. You will be treated with respect, receive honest advice about your case, and be equipped with the best and most aggressive defense.
Your Felony DUI Charges
If you are facing a DUI charge, this felony conviction can remain on your permanent record forever. Additionally, your DUI felony conviction may include any of the following: fines, suspension of license, and jail time. Knowing the basics of a DUI charge can be the foundation for establishing your case.
It is important to establish from the beginning that California DUI cases are extremely complex because there are two separate and distinct government agencies to navigate – the California courts and the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
A DUI can be charged as either a felony or a misdemeanor. A felony charge is more serious, while a misdemeanor charge is a lesser offense. A DUI will be charged as a felony when:
- Your DUI resulted in an injury or death, known as a DUI with injury, DUI with injury where great bodily injury ("GBI") is inflicted, vehicular manslaughter and vehicular homicide
- You have a prior felony DUI conviction
- You have three or more prior DUI convictions in the last 10 years
In the State of California, you can receive a DUI for driving while “under the influence.” Under the influence can include substantial impairment by either drugs or alcohol with a blood alcohol content of .08 or higher.
Penalties for a felony DUI vary, but may include any of the following charges:
- Time in state prison (jail time dependent on circumstances of DUI, and prior convictions)
- Loss of driver’s license
- Installation of an ignition interlock device, which prevents you from operating a vehicle until you have successfully passed a breathalyzer test each time
- Registration as a Habitual Traffic Offender
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) Victim Impact Panel participant
- Requirement to participate in California driving program
- Alcohol rehabilitation treatment program
Unfortunately, if you are convicted of a felony DUI, you will face collateral consequences in your life, which can affect you physically, emotionally, and financially. Some of those consequences can include:
- Possible changes to child custody or visitation
- Inability to obtain work in healthcare, education or some government fields
- Inability to obtain work in any position that may require driving (or operating machinery)
- Inability to travel without a license
- Inability to apply for any state welfare program in California
- Challenges to renting or purchasing a residence
However, simply because you have been charged with a DUI, does not guarantee that you will be convicted in a California court of law.
Additionally, while these charges seem overwhelming, there are also considerable mitigating circumstances that an experienced attorney will understand, which can reduce or even potentially eliminate some of these charges. While not an exhaustive list, some examples of circumstances that may help us to get the case against your dismissed include:
- Inaccurate or insufficient proof provided by law enforcement that you were operating the vehicle
- Inaccurate or insufficient proof provided by law enforcement that you were intoxicated or “under the influence”
- Inaccurate or insufficient proof provided by law enforcement regarding your blood alcohol content
- Law enforcement failed to obtain a warrant if they obtained a blood sample from you
- Inaccurate or insufficient proof provided by law enforcement that chemical tests were administered correctly
Do not let a felony conviction ruin the rest of your life. I am a dedicated DUI defense attorney who understands DUI laws. Oftentimes, there are opportunities in California to “plea bargain” to obtain a lesser charge for your DUI. I will fight your felony DUI case at the DMV hearing to preserve your driving privileges.
Additionally, I will provide a strong defense against these serious charges and fight to get the best possible outcome for your case.
Let Me Start Protecting You. Contact Me.
Facing a DUI charge can be terrifying. Without someone to help guide you through the complex legal process, you may ultimately be relinquishing your legal rights. Since your DUI charge is a permanent record of a felony, you need someone to help you understand your rights, and fight to ensure that your case has the best outcome given your specific facts and circumstances.
Hiring an attorney with expertise in DUI law is vital so that you understand your legal options throughout the entire process. From the initial hearing, arraignment, investigation, court appearances, motions, negotiations with the prosecutor — all the way to a possible trial — I will be by your side ensuring that your rights are protected each step of the way.
Contact the Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann, APC, in Santa Ana if you, a friend, or a family member have been arrested for a DUI. We will work together, and I will be your representative throughout your case. As an experienced and dedicated DUI lawyer fighting for you, I will ensure that you get the best possible representation and aggressively defend your rights.